Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Prison Release Day #1

Tomorrow is a significant day. Aaron's dad is being released from prison. For those of you that are new here, yes, you read that correctly.

Some time before we were married, we found out that his dad had sexually abused two of his step-children. It was a complete and total shock to everyone. Aaron didn't even want to tell me when he found out about it. Once he did, I had no idea how to respond. My relationship with my future father-in-law ended immediately. Because I was afraid of coming between Aaron and his dad and having him come to resent me, I overcompensated by constantly pushing him into keeping up his relationship with him. Eventually I realized that I was getting exactly what I was hoping to avoid, so I let it go. 

Over that past years, Aaron has chosen to communicate with his dad and has decided to have his dad as a part of his life in the future. I support his choice, as long as he respects my feelings as well. I'm a little nervous about how things are going to go. I know I will never be able to trust him. That kind of kills any potential of a relationship right there. On that same note, authentic relationships are one of my highest priorities. I'm not one of those people who can just pretend nothing has happened or that everything is ok when it's not. I can't just pretend that he's been away on a long vacation. And I don't feel bad about that, because he made a choice to hurt 2 children.

So that's where things lie for now. I'm a little nervous, mostly about how this will affect my relationship with Studdly Hubby, but confident that we have enough respect and love for each other to get through this. And prayers. Lots of prayers...

-Rachel

No comments:

Post a Comment