Sunday, December 11, 2011

On Perseverance...

I'm feeling proud of myself right now, and I really feel like sharing it. Doing my senior project (and getting an A, I might add) has felt like a major milestone for me. At Concordia, it's something every senior is required to do before graduating. It took me longer to get there, but I did it!

I've felt a lot of shame related to school in the past. And that's not completely gone. I'm still somewhat embarrassed by how long it's taken me and all the failure along the way. 

But I haven't given up.

Getting closer to the light at the end of the tunnel!
I've been really frustrated this semester by the back and forth of my anticipated graduation date. I feel like I finally, FINALLY have a grasp on things and have PTSD under control enough to succeed in school. That feels like a major accomplishment all on its own. So I may more ready than ever to be able to say that I am a college graduate. At this point, it looks like I'll be done at the end of this coming summer (I need a total of 20 more credits). I now have the confidence to say that I will be able to succeed. 

But I'm getting off track here. The point is, I have overcome a lot to get this far. I've grown in so many ways in the last year and half. And the exciting part? I'm not done! I'm still learning and growing! I just wish I could explain to people why I'm proud of myself when it comes to school even though it took a lot of failure to get here.

O well. If they don't get it, it's not my problem. I'm proud of me, and so is my husband. Even though he's almost done with his second bachelor's and I'm still working on my first, he has NEVER made me feel like less for it. He's understood and supported me, every step of the way, even when I've had to pay out of pocket for classes.

On a side note, the more quotes I stumble upon from Albert Einstein, the more I like him:

"It's not that I'm so smart, it's just that I stay with problems longer."  ~Albert Einstein

Rachel




2 comments: